This post is going to be a little different than my previous posts. Why change it up, you ask? Don’t worry! It will all be over soon! I have had 2 blogs for a while: my main one at Finding Montauk and a separate one detailing my adventures of commuting to and from work on public transportation, The Basic Traveler. I have only done 4 posts for The Basic Traveler as I have found it difficult to fully manage, engage, and maintain both at the same time. I will be blending my 4 posts from The Basic Traveler over to my main blog and will set them up as some sort of series.
Also, I was nominated for the Liebster Award last week so I am going to include some of that today, as well. So, shall we? 🙂
On your mark. Get set. GO!
That’s what it looks and feels like when arriving to my final destination on the train after a long day at work. People begin to prepare for the mad descent out the doors, down the steps, through the gates, and into the elevators two, sometimes even three, stations in advance. It’s as if Gioachino Rossini’s “William Tell Overture” goes off in their heads and they lose all ability to not act like neanderthals prepared to trample, club, and bust through to the elevator. Only to get stuck on a highway, bumper to bumper, six lanes wide.
You can see the crazy in their eyes as they try to look around, failing at attempts to be nonchalant. They are gripping their fists to harness their energy. Sweat begins to form on their brow. We are pulling up and what is the worst thing that could happen? That they incorrectly predicted which side of the train the doors would open up since it varies the side in which the train arrives. Someone on the “other” side just struck GOLD as he is now the privileged first passenger to smell fresh air.
My personal favorite thing to witness is the look on someone’s face when one had hoped and truly believed that he/she would make it to the elevator alone- workout 12 other people who parked on levels of the garage before them. Patience is truly a virtue. Everyone will need it when they get to the highway, anyway.
Balancing speed and patience can be a struggle sometimes, too. I often wonder, “Just how fast can I get off this hell train but not look as crazy as bald Britney in 2007 or Amanda Bynes actively logged into Twitter?” #MurderMyVagina
That’s the final minutes of my ride summed up in a nutshell. If you like Seabiscuit or Secretariat, grab your derby hat and I’ll see you there!
So the Liebster Award is an award for bloggers who have under 200 followers or for those who are just starting to develop their reader and fan base. Thank you so much for the nomination, Amy! I am honored to have been nominated and glad to see my hard work is paying off and people enjoy what I have to say! 🙂 So now I need to answer these 11 questions and nominate 11 other bloggers:
- How did you decide on the title of your blog, and what’s it about?
When I started my blog originally in 2011 I wasn’t being honest with myself. I was always looking to escape in whatever way I could from who I was. I am 29 and have always known since 6 years old that I was different. I have accepted it and am open about it now, but I remained tucked away in the closet until 2013. Finding Montauk is a play on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and escaping to memories that, for all intents and purposes, can be erased at any time given this shiny, new, scientific invention in the movie. My blog has transformed in content and now I aim at recollecting my memories of favorite things (movies, shows, activities I have done, etc) and try to draw a humorous parallel to other things. I am all about loving your memories, making new ones, and having fun and laughing along the way.
- Can you give 11 random facts about yourself?|
1. I am severely allergic to jelly fish and was stung dozens of times in the summer of 1996. It was so bad I had constant bleeding hives, my eyes swelled shut, and my lips would make Kim Kardashian jealous (and they didn’t cost me a fortune to do, either!)2. I am in love with horror movies.
3. I live in Atlanta and hate it most of the time. I can’t wait to get a cabin in the woods around wine country or a house near the beach for a more relaxed life 🙂
4. I am the youngest of 8 kids
5. My oldest niece is about as old as I am; I became an uncle when I was in kindergarten
6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer easily stakes any other TV Show’s ass… err… heart.
7. I have one cat and would like 2 dogs: a miniature dachshund and one other larger/mid-sized dog.
8. I have a soft spot for young adult books (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, Percy Jackson,I Am Number Four, etc…)
9. I kind of use a lot of hand sanitizer…
10. I cherish alcohol.
11. Blogging is the one of the first and only hobbies I have where I can “express myself” and I like the way it makes me feel!
- What is something you’ve been loving lately?
I have been getting into walking a lot more (4-5 miles a day after work usually) because my company gave us $60 towards getting a FitBit. Hopefully I will exercise a little more because of it, too….
- What is it you love most about blogging?
I love hearing or seeing people laugh when they read my blogs. I love knowing that I have done my part to make someone laugh and put a smile on their face… because you can never smile too much!
- If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
1. Meet Taylor Swift.
2. Get a Miniature Dachshund.
3. Have enough money to move to the beach or a wine country cabin and retire… I don’t need enough to live an extravagant life!!
- Where does your blog inspiration come from?
My own struggles/accomplishments, movies/TV, and just being able to write and say whatever I want is nice 🙂
- What is one country in the world you would like to visit? Why?
Ireland for the architecture, music, food, and booze!
- If you have kids or pets? Tell me about your babies.
Merlot is my only furbaby. I named her after the 2 or 3 bottles of wine I drank before rescuing her from the shelter. I went to prevent my friend from getting a 4th cat and then I walked away with one… and I think I rescued her in 2006.
- A long-lost relative leaves you a large sum of money. What do you do with it?
Build/buy a dream house somewhere. Invest a lot so I can live off the earnings. Put a little aside. And travel with the rest!
- What is something you do when you need to take time for yourself?
Clothes all the blinds and curtains and watch Buffy… or grab some wine/beer/coffee and sit on the couch or patio and read.
- Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Just as happy as I am today 🙂 You gotta do what makes you happy and life will just fall into place!
I now nominate 11 more people for the Liebster award:
horrorfunatic @ https://horrorfunatic.wordpress.com/
Danee and Samantha @ https://fictionfunction.wordpress.com/ (Fiction Function)
Fright365 @ https://365fright.wordpress.com/
The Aspiring Film Critic @ https://theaspiringfilmcritic.wordpress.com/
Mallory @ https://msmith8.wordpress.com/ (Words, Comics, and Pictures)
Ruminations From An Introvert @ http://anintrovertmind.com/
Eisa @ https://eisabookclub.wordpress.com/
Vianca @ https://pbvibes.wordpress.com/
Yvonne @ http://www.yvonnestravel.com/
Denishia @ http://denishia.com/
Young Wise Folk @ http://www.youngwisefolk.com/
Instructions for the Nominees
- Answer the eleven questions given to you by the person that nominated you (see below). Please comment on this post with your link when you are done so I can see your answers!
- In your post, link back to the person/blog who nominated you and give a little thank you shout out.
- After completing the questions, nominate 11 bloggers with under 200 followers on the social media platform of your choice, and give them eleven questions of your choice.
- Notify your nominees of their nomination, and provide a link to your post so that they know what to do.
Here are your questions:
1. How did you decide on the title of your blog, and what’s it about?
2. Can you give 11 random facts about yourself?
3. What is something you’ve been loving lately?
4. What is it you love most about blogging?
5. If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
6. Where does your blog inspiration come from?
7. What is one country in the world you would like to visit? Why?
8. If you have kids or pets? Tell me about your babies.
9. A long-lost relative leaves you a large sum of money. What do you do with it?
10. What is something you do when you need to take time for yourself?
11. Where do you see yourself in five years time?